Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Watching Them Sleep

Dear Anne Lamott,

I tried.
I waited for the bus.
She sat down.
And I waited for her to say something.
Someone had to say something, we were the only two people in the world.
Sometimes God is in the bathrooms you always say.
So sometimes the garden is in the campus,
And the temptation is in the charcoal chicken delights.

Oh, something something weather weather fifteen twenty yadda yadda yadda yadda, oh sure.

Then she handed me the usual Jesus pamphlet, and I folded it into the Southwestern earth crafted lady purse that hung like a shield across the breath and the depth of me.

I decided to listen to her. She was talking about the war. And I opted out of the palm Sunday service this morning. And we were the only two people in the world.

Then she asked me if I went to school here, North Park's back drop was stapled behind us unevenly and two toned, in banners and score boards.

Uh, oh.

Don't ask me to quote the bible with you. I'm not like that. I'm more Anne Lamott then John the Baptist. I'm here to listen.

Close call. Dodged that one. She was out of literature and JUST wanted to know what I was studying.

Creative writing.

Yadda Yadda good for you honey you a freshman? yadda yadda. Oh I see yadda yadda.

What do you want to do? Or where do you see yourself?.....Picture?......It was that question......But, the wind was picking up and it was hard to hear.....?

Be a writer.

Declarative statement for a change.

Pause.

Oh, OK, you JUST wanna be a writer, OK.

Pause.

They have the best chicken over there! (She said). (With a smile).

It's true, Charcoal Delights is sinful.

Grace (eventually),
Skin and Toast and Gumption


No comments:

Post a Comment